NOTE: TO DO IN ADVANCE
For best results, prepare the chili a couple of hours prior to frying your frybread. The flavours will meld and add to your taco experience. Also note that i suggest making the dough for frybread an hour before we get together to prepare these Indian tacos.
In a large bowl, add enough water to your bannock mix to make a nice even, shaggy dough. Let it rest for an hour before frying for best results. You have enough bannock mix in your bag to make frybread for the tacos and the dessert.
To fry the bread, heat oil to 350 degrees and fry the bread in pieces until browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet or pot
- Cook onions and garlic until lightly browned
- add Bison and cook until browned
- add canned tomatoes, beans, corn and tomato paste. Add your small packet of chili powder. Cook until desired thickness
- cut the frybread
- top with chili
- top with lettuce, cheddar and sour cream
- garnish with cilantro (and diced tomatoes – optional )